I was only able to get to the tyrant tower thing in the non-sandbox version.in sandbox i just couldn't make it that far at all.
Hello everyone, and thanks for your patience!
I've been working hard on the design of a commercial Kill the KOTH recently. I want to start work on bug fixing and tweaking the mechanic, so I've added a sandbox mode to get feedback on gameplay, test ideas out, and test limits.
The files are attached to this article, but you can find them on the main game page too.
The sandbox isn't exactly indicative of the end result. The bright atmosphere is just a personal respite given how depressing 2020 has been so far. I thought I'd spread some sunshine to y'all as well.
There are two ways to "win":
- Find your way to the top and press the checkered finish button
- Collect all the Jellies
That being said, you can always try to minimize deaths, or beat your personal times.
I've also created a fresh discord Server that you can join here: https://discord.gg/KV9mZRX
You'll gain access to:
- Future Betas, demos and updates
- Provide design feedback
- Report bugs
- Potentially influence the design of the game
- Occasionally hang out while I develop the game
- Maybe some game jams if you're into that
- Early press and media access
You can also follow me on twitter to get updates: https://twitter.com/_rubeki
Recently I've been working on:
- Developing a coherent storyline
- Gameplay progression and mechanics details
- Marketing Strategy
- Making this sandbox :)
Please join, and let's have some fun!
Get Kill The K.O.T.H.
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
Gosh dang it I stopped checking itch for a while and missed this, going to have some fun.
You're working like a machine, get some sleep!
Honestly though, amazing progress, I'll definitely check out the Discord server!
Alright, here are some bugs I noticed after messing around in the Sandbox for a while:
1) If you time it right, you can jump off the water before it kills you
2) Sometimes when I hang myself on a wall, I am unable to move sideways or vault over the top of the wall. I think it happens when I'm near the corner of the wall, but not sure.
3) Sometimes after a jump my character won't grab onto the wall at all - that might be purely my fault though, maybe I was too far away.
Also, do you plan on making the game slow and methodical or fast and about reflexes? Just curious, because the gameplay could support both of these ways.
Anyways, really good job, you're making a great progress with the game!
Yeah and the Discord invitation sadly doesn't work for me, maybe it's expired or something?
I work like a machine since there isn't much else to do during this pandemic. I feel like I've watched everything on Netflix... :(
Odd that the Discord link doesn't work... Can you DM me on twitter? I can send you a personal link.
1) interesting. I'll have to try and replicate this
2) Yeah this one is the worst, I have a plan on how to fix it, just gotta try it. It does happen at the edge of wall faces. I think on all 4 edges.
3) I'd need more specific instructions on how to replicate - or a video perhaps. Let's try and get you set up on Discord!
And on how the game will eventually be, I plan on making it slower and more methodical, with optional portions that are very difficult to get to, or even secrets that are little sandbox levels like this one. This current layout is so that I can test as many gameplay elements as possible in a densely packed area. So no NPCs, story, or pacing at all.
Right now, my vision is something like Darksouls mood and pace, with a Mario 64 gameplay loop (not necessarily the jumpiness). But let's see how it pans out...